Monday 19 March 2012

A Southern Preview

I've decided to create a blog about my riding this year, I'm sure some other subjects will find there way onto here but you'll get the gist of it all...

After an early season warm up training and racing in Cyprus with Ben Sumner, (Beeline Cycles) it was about time I raced a classic Southern Cross Country race at the iconic Checkendon venue. I've always enjoyed racing here, with the furiously fast nature of the course - fast, twisty singletrack with the added bonus this year of some new steep climbs - it encourages closely fought battles between small groups of riders.

Practice lap - I set out on my own for the course sortie, it had been wet earlier in the week which left the clay like course super tacky. To be honest my best description of the conditions would be that similar to cycling through nutella! unpredictably slippery but so tacky speed was not my side today. Much of the quality singletrack was still in the course but a few new additions kept it exciting in my opinion, unridden descents and climbs with a very loose top surface (received mixed opinion from riders but I loved it) made a very comprehensive lap, with the infamous checkendon field sections it was going to be a tough race.

Racerace time - Last year my starts were remarkably abysmal, so it's something I've been working on over the winter, it's paying off as I got the whole-shot into the first corner. This was my first leg test since the conditioning in Cyprus so I pushed hard through the first section of the lap and soon found myself breaking away with 3 riders in tow, Ben Sumner, Ade Lansley (Pedalon) and Mike Cotty (Cannondale Racing). Next it was Bens' turn on the front, he drove a super fast pace which we all hung onto just about until the steep climbs and relentless pace took there toll on Ade and Mike, me and Ben had made that crucial 10-15 second gap that would be hard to close on the first lap. I knew both Ade and Mike had the ability to close that gap though so resumed the front of the race and drove the pace on.
By lap 3 me and Ben had a nice gap of the rest of the field and we were settling into a nice pace, then the mistake from me. Around a slippy corner I just let my front wheel drift a little too far off the line and found myself riding across a pool of eels, or atleast thats how it felt. Needless to say I hit the deck pretty hard and as Ben rode over my ankle and off up the hill I knew I had a problem on my hands! A slow re-mount and another silly mistake left me trailing Ben by 20 seconds, a big problem with now only 2 laps to go and my legs feeling the effort through the deep mud.
Then it was a situation of mixed feelings. Ben was suddenly right in front of me half way round the 4th lap of 5, but why was he so close? Nightmare, a totally flat rear tyre. I was happy in a sense obviously because I knew he was essentially out of the race but I was really gutted it had to be decided that way, I had visions of a great last lap between us both, a true last man standing finish. This was not to be however as I cruised past the stricken Ben with these mixed feelings.
The last lap was more a formality I guess, with over a two minute lead on the next rider Ade I just rode round nice and safe, conserving energy for next week and trying to prevent another crash! Crossing the finish line in first was a great feeling but a hollow one knowing how it could have been decided.

I was really proud to be showing my new Mountain bike team colours though! I couldn't have asked for a better result in my Specialized/Hargroves backed kit. (For all confused, I will be in Specialized team and colours for mtb and Hargroves team and colours for road and cross events)
My Specialized Epic 29er again proved to me I made the right bike choice. I was running Specialized Fast Trak tyres at 23/24 psi front/rear respectively. Forks were set at 110psi and 165psi in the rear shock with two clicks of brain fade damping.

Be great to here what you guys think of my blog style so please let me know!!

Peace for now and all that jazz

Steve

1 comment:

  1. Nice writing Steve, I aprove, although it ought to be Ben and I in future. Looking forward to coming and seeing you race this year; I'm sure you'll have enough 'epic battles' later on.

    ReplyDelete